Ah so finally time for the internet. There's been a workshop the past week at the farm, so I haven't been able to get online as I need to go into a room the workshop has been using in order to get online. So this is the update from the first week of the farm. This past week and pictures should be updated by Tuesday hopefully. I'm sorry I'm on Hawaii time ;)
March 6, 2010
So the tsunami didn’t come. Thankfully because my friend’s house I was staying at was right across from the ocean. Unfortunately because we had a snorkel trip at Molokini planned and would have surely seen whales underwater!
I’ve been on the farm now for over a week and really love it. It’s so rewarding to work outside in the beauty, with my hands, and being able to work to produce really beautiful food! We have bananas, pineapple, coconuts, beets, carrots, fennel, parsley, basil, lettuce, ginger, turmeric, okra, green beans, lima beans, chard, and other things that I can’t remember at the moment!
The farm takes pretty good care of the volunteers here too. Free lodging, laundry, internet, pool, spa, sauna, yoga, electricity, water, and good food! I’m staying in a tent right now, and I’m actually really excited about it. I’ve felt a little nervous about it (especially since the weather has been stormy and the intense wind seems like it’s going to blow the tent away) but I’m getting over the fear of living alone outside and am really enjoying this opportunity to get over some of my fears and just really be a lot more independent. All the volunteers have a communal kitchen/lounge area that is pretty nice and a fun place to hang out. It’s been a week of transition for the farm volunteers as about 5 have left the farm since I’ve gotten here and 2 others have arrived. The days go by pretty fast between work, getting to know people, exploring the property, card playing, reading, grocery shopping, and the usual cleaning.

No comments:
Post a Comment