Friday, March 26, 2010















Birthday season has come to an end here. It was nice, I am very grateful for the birthday wishes and gifts I received. Megan brought me the beautiful flowers pictured. I don't know what they are called, but the "petals" are almost like bird feathers, very soft and fuzzy. Megan, her boyfriend, and a co-worker of hers picked me up after work and took me and another farm friend to dinner in town (Pa’ia). We went to a pizza place called Flatbread, which is one of the places we sell some of our produce to. We got their veggie pizza- which featured our beets! It is pretty awesome to see the produce go full circle. Although I didn’t plant those specific beets, I have planted beets, and I have tended them, and I probably harvested and delivered the beets that were on the pizza we ordered. I’m slowly making that connection between the earth providing the sustenance for my own body- which is also of the earth. I’ve been introduced to so many vegetables, fruits, spices and herbs that I’ve never heard of, and I think I’ll slowly learn how to prepare those things for my own consumption- that’s the goal. I’m feeling much healthier and connected to the earth and food and I’m very happy about it!

I wasn’t so happy about the rain. It rained all day Saturday but it was a good reason to sit inside and read another Vonnegut book. There was a bit of a break in the rain on Sunday so I went on a hike down the gulch to the ocean. Needless to say, it was beautiful (you can see from this week's pictures, which I still don't know how to lay out properly-The Asian style house was just something we stumbled upon on our hike down. I wish that was my lodging!!). We booked it back up when we saw the rain clouds coming. On the way back up we jumped in the waterfall by the property and then straight to the hot tub right in time for the downpour. So it’s been raining off and on a good amount this last week. Although I can appreciate the rain Monday-Friday, I am having a hard time with the mosquitoes who are loving the weather. I have at least 31 bites. Hopefully none carry any diseases!! I made friends with a kitty. There are a lot around here but they are crazy, this one was nice and cuddly though :)

2 comments:

  1. Hilary-
    I really enjoyed your pictures. You are in a beautiful place! I'm glad things are going well.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary,
    I is great to see photos of you, your activities and Hawaii. It sounds like it has been a very positive experience so far. We don't have anything quite so interesting to report here in Livermore, but with the rain, green hills, and flowers in bloom, it is a very pretty time of the year. Thanks for you effort in keeping us updated. It is much appreciated.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete